Coda File System

Re: Coda for syncronizing NFS servers?

From: Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen_at_xemacs.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 16:00:18 +0900

    Scott> Currently we have offices in several countries that have
    Scott> large NFS servers - I think most are NetApps (Network
    Scott> Appliance) NAS.  These are currently being syncronized by
    Scott> using rsync cron jobs at night.  The problem is this
    Scott> doesn't scale well and the network is having trouble
    Scott> keeping up.

Have you considered the BitTorrent protocol instead of rsyncing to a
central server?  Of course you'd still have to find a way to identify
new and changed files (BitTorrent as such assumes that's already been
done), and if the changes are small relative to the files you might
want to use rsync for transport anyway.  Those might be bigger
problems than daisy-chaining by hand if it's a fairly small number of
servers.

Besides the comments Ivan made, you should also be aware that Coda
doesn't do a lot to optimize file transport IIRC: if one bit changes,
you have to transport the whole file before you can access any of it
again.