Coda File System

Red zone, stalling writer

From: Jeremy Bowen <jeremyb_at_iserve.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 12:00:31 +1200
I've had a few repeats of an issue while testing coda lately.
I'm getting into a situation where the following message is repeated every
second:
eg.
Red zone, stalling writer ( 11:36:41 )

Having a quick look at the code (coda-src/venus/vproc.cc line 572), this could
be due to the last case regarding a dirty cache.

	redzone = !free_fsos ||
		  free_mles <= MaxWorkers ||
		  free_blocks <= (CacheBlocks >> 4); /* ~94% cache dirty */

I'm adding and deleting a large number of temporary files in order to run some
benchmarks on the filesystem so I guess this could cause the cache to become
exhausted.

Once I get into this situation, it doesn't seem easy to get out of without
killing the client and server :-(
Does this sound normal ? Is there anything I could do to mitigate the effects
of this ?

Cheers

Jeremy