Coda File System

Re: Coda-6.0.12, LWP-2.1, and RPC2-1.28

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 23:44:32 -0400
On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 03:11:31PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>   * The Coda-6.0.12 clients and servers will not be able to successfully bind
>     with clients and servers older than release 6.0.7.
>
> So first one must bring everything that's older up to 6.0.7, and then
> can update at will to 6.0.12?  Can you give us a date for anoncvs for
> the last version that's safe with 6.0.12?

I think that would be around April 8th, 2004.

> It seems that once I update my server to 6.0.12, all my clients <
> 6.0.7 will break.  This is understandable given the need for progress,
> but a huge departure from not changing the wire protocol for a long
> time.

Not sure if old clients really would have a problem with the new
servers. I do know that the old servers will disconnect a client that
doesn't accept a writeback connection. You could always check if your old
client can connect to testserver.coda which is running a 6.0.12 server.