Coda File System

Q about the VSGDB file and referring to realms.

From: Jeremy Bowen <jeremyb_at_iserve.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 12:33:30 +1200
Has the VSGDB file been obsoleted ? The man pages and the docs still refer to
this file but the script vice-setup-scm which is supposed to create it, does
not mention it at all.

What is the preferred method of creating a multiple server installation if the
VSGDB file is not used ? The docs for createvol_rep must be incorrect. The
only way I can make it do anything is to invoke it something like:
$ createvol_rep /shareme mrblue.localdomain/vicepa mrorange.localdomain/vicepa

Is this correct ?
(It has an ID of 7f000001)

Also, how do I relate "Realms" to "Servers". I have
a /usr/local/etc/coda/realms file on the client which contains:
myrealm	mrblue.localdomain mrorange.localdomain

I have two volumes on my coda servers. First is "/" which is only on
mrblue.localdomain (created the first time I ran vice-setup)
Second is /shareme which is on mrblue.localdomain & mrorange.localdomain

How do I use this to refer to my replicated volume (/shareme in the above
example) ?

I can do a "venus-setup myrealm 40000" which is happy. I then start venus and
try to mount my replicated volume but what should I use to refer to this ?

Do I refere to it by server-name or realm ? Do I need to make a cfs mountpoint
for it ?
"cfs lv /coda/myrealm" fails with: No such file or directory
"cfs mkm /coda/myrealm" fails with the error "/coda: File exists"

"cfs lv /coda/mrblue.localdomain" returns:
  Status of volume 7f000000 (2130706432) named "/"
  Volume type is ReadWrite
  Connection State is Connected
  Reintegration age: 4294967295 sec, hogtime 4294967.295 sec
  Minimum quota is 0, maximum quota is unlimited
  Current blocks used are 3
  The partition has 69703404 blocks available out of 107514268

"cfs lv /coda/mrblue.localdomain/shareme" results in:
  Status of volume 7f000001 (2130706433) named "/shareme"
  Volume type is ReadWrite
  Connection State is Connected
  Reintegration age: 4294967295 sec, hogtime 4294967.295 sec
  Minimum quota is 0, maximum quota is unlimited
  Current blocks used are 3
  The partition has 105652880 blocks available out of 107514268

"cfs whereis /coda/mrblue.localdomain/shareme" returns:
  mrblue.localdomain  mrorange.localdomain

I really don't understand the mapping between realms and servers and which is
used by the client processes. I'm tearing my hair out now trying to figure
out how to refer to the volume. What am I missing ????