Coda File System

Version Skew with kernel

From: Patrick Walsh <pwalsh_at_esoft.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 11:08:21 -0600
	I just attempted an upgrade from coda client 6.0.11 to 6.0.12.  This is
with the coda kernel module 6.1 as 6.2 may be broken.  Unfortunately,
venus fails on startup with this message:

10:46:31 WorkerInit: Version Skew with kernel! Get a newer kernel!
10:46:31 WorkerInit: Kernel version is 2

	We are using a Redhat enterprise kernel, 2.4.21.  We didn't have this
issue in 6.0.11, but in case nothing changed in coda, we did just
upgrade our kernel to the latest set of patches, which were minor bug
fixes and security updates.  From 2.4.21 to 2.4.21.

	The check appears to be in worker.cc in the WorkerInit() function.  It
wants kernel_version == 3, but apparently my kernel_version is 2.

	coda.o loads smoothly.

	It looks like this check hasn't changed from 6.0.11, but I'm not sure
exactly how kernel_version is determined or where that number comes
from.  If it comes from coda.o, I'm a bit confused.  I rebuild it from
the 6.1 sources because I'm forced to rebuild it with each kernel
upgrade.

	I'm going to attempt to move back to 6.0.11 to see if the problem goes
away.  I'd appreciate any pointers though as to what may have changed in
6.0.12 that could possibly have caused this to happen or if you think it
may be the kernel update that's causing the problem.

Thanks,

--
Patrick Walsh
eSoft Incorporated