Coda File System

Re: /coda has realm as symlink

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_medic.chalmers.se>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 18:40:42 +0200
Hi,

On Sat, Oct 15, 2005 at 11:55:54PM -0500, Jerry Amundson wrote:
> RFE : Syntax check at creation that volume names start with "/" (if
> indeed, it is required...).

no, that is not enforced in any way, as Jan wrote,

though I always strongly suggest keeping volume's names and mountpoints
in sync - i.e. the same when possible.

The special case of the root volume of a realm can be seen then
as either an empty name or a "/" name. I prefer the second,
thus for consistency beginning all volume names with "/".

Jan shows a different approach, which has been traditionally
used for AFS-like filesystems, making some kind of mapping between
volume names and their "functions", and separately between the "functions"
and mountpoints.

During DFS deployment project at Chalmers we had to handle thousands
of DFS volumes which showed very clearly a need for direct mapping between
mountpoints and volume names. For DFS we had to create special tools,
translating between paths and volume names (no slash was allowed and such),
so it is a very nice feature of Coda, being able to call volumes
like their mountpoints.

On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 11:52:51AM -0400, Jan Harkes wrote:

>     vmm:u.jaharkes or vm:u.jaharkes.test
>
> i.e. vmm:     -> stored triply replicated on 'verdi, mozart, marais'.
>      vm:      -> stored doubly replicated on 'vivaldi, mahler'.
>      u.       -> located in /usr/ (similarily p. is the project subtree)
>      jaharkes -> obviously my user name
>      .test    -> personal test volume stored at /usr/jaharkes/test.

Jan, I guess you mean /coda/cs.cmu.edu/usr/.... (not /usr) ?

It might look like Coda shares the namespace with the traditional *nix
directories, while of course it doesn't.

Regards,
--
Ivan