Coda File System

Re: /coda has realm as symlink

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_medic.chalmers.se>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 08:53:14 +0200
Hi Jerry,

> Even with the / volume created first, I still can't see the others...

Have you created both the volumes and mountpoints for them?

> Also, if
> I do manage to see additional volumes, what's the advantage of them over just
> directories made under the / volume? Access control, I suppose... more?

Wonder if there are some explanations on the Wiki, certainly were on the list.

Volumes are Codas "natural" units of data.

By volume you
 - setup replication
 - backup
 - set quota
 - repair conflicts
 - reintegrate changes
 - implicitely serialize some other operations

so you do not want them to be too big, it is going to be both inconvenient
and inefficient (slow).

Access control though is done per directory, not per volume.

Regards,
--
Ivan