Coda File System

Re: /coda has realm as symlink

From: Jerry Amundson <jerry_at_pbs.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 09:51:22 -0500
On Wed October 19 2005 07:46, Ivan Popov wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 07:34:14AM -0500, Jerry Amundson wrote:
> > So what's the purpose of the "mountpoint"?
>
> To make a statement that you want a volume to be mounted at that
> place, that is at file name lookup by some process the filesystem
> manager (Venus) does at that point a _volume_ lookup and uses volume
> contents as a contents of that object in the file system.
>
> With other words - like traditional mounts, with a difference that
> mountpoints are located in the filesystem itself, not centrally in a
> table in the actual OS kernel.

Are you saying I can "cfs mkm /foo/bar/widgets widgetvol" and the OS
sees /foo/bar/widgets as a "normal" filesystem, but "controlled" by
Coda?
So from applications I access /foo/bar/widgets, assuming applicable
ctokens, etc.?
Then it was just my "old-school" thinking that caused me to make
mountpoints under /coda/example.com/? Maybe they should *not* be there
for any reason?
And "ls -lR /foo/bar/widgets" and "ls -lR /coda/example.com/widgetvol"
accomplish the same thing?
Or am I completely off my rocker and the above is complete drivel? Can I
complete another sentence in the form of a question? Yes!

jerry