Coda File System

Re: /coda has realm as symlink

From: Phil Nelson <phil_at_cs.wwu.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 08:08:21 -0700
On Wednesday 19 October 2005 07:51 am, Jerry Amundson wrote:
> Are you saying I can "cfs mkm /foo/bar/widgets widgetvol" and the OS
> sees /foo/bar/widgets as a "normal" filesystem, but "controlled" by
> Coda?

No.  cfs mkm makes a special symbolic link in the file system.  Venus
is consulted by the OS only for files in /coda.   So your mkm mountpoint
must start with /coda.   And of course, the server set is defined by
/coda/my.realm.net/ and so any mount point (one of these special
symbolic links) in /coda/my.realm.net/... then talks about a volume
in that realm.   As I understand it, you can't even "cross mount" a
volume from servers for one realm into another realm's tree.

   cfs mkm /coda/realm/mount/point volume-name

Notice, the volume-name doesn't include the realm.  That information
comes from the mount point.

--Phil

--
Phil Nelson                       NetBSD: http://www.NetBSD.org