Coda File System

Re: WinXP successful installation + Sample coda server?

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 23:22:10 -0500
> I have just installed ntcoda-b1.exe and have had success (I think).
>
> Windows XP version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519 : Service
> Pack 2)
> Cygwin: 1.5.18(0.132/4/2)
>
> I do have a couple of comments to make about the process, I hope these
> can be helpful.
>
> I could not find anything that suggested what packages of Cygwin to
> install.  So I installed the base package.

I don't know too much about the cygwin port, but Phil Nelson made a
snapshot (mirror) of the version of cygwin he used to build the client.

    http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/mirrors/cygwin/

It contains a 'coda-base' package which depends on,

     perl cygrunsrv tar bash cygwin

I guess that cygwin, tar and bash are most likely part of the base
install. I don't see an fltk dependency, but vcodacon is not really
critical for the correct operation of the client. Also vcodacon was
added fairly recently, so maybe the dependency was simply overlooked.

> Is there a sample coda server/realm I can use to see or test if it is
> really working properly?  Since my implementation would depend on a
> successful WinXP client I thought it would be prudent to test it against
> a working server before trying to set one up myself.

Open a cygwin shell and run,

    ls /coda/testserver.coda.cs.cmu.edu/