Coda File System

Re: Repacking Coda(WinXP) as standard Cygwin package (*.tar.bz2).

From: Phil Nelson <phil_at_cs.wwu.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 14:47:19 -0800
On Monday 19 December 2005 01:42 pm, you wrote:
> In recent Cygwin releases all available disks are mounted during setup
> under /cygdrive directory

That is true.  You could write a script to search for the /cygdrive/?/Window/system32/drivers
directory and then install the .sys files.

> regtool utility I suppose can do this.

OK.  I've never used it.

> But why not use venus-setup from cygwin command prompt?

That should work.   So a user would have to run the script after the
install.   This is the same as UNIX.

> > the kernel module.
> >
> I remmember doing this (that is recompiling coda) a couple of times
> before with alpha release and it works more or less smoothly with the
> old .sys files (the ones extracted from coda archive).

No.  You are recompiling the coda userland.  That is fine.  I'm talking about
compiling the coda.sys file.  That has not been available before the beta-1
release.  And there are major bug fixes in the beta release.  You want at a
minimum those, but you should be able to rebuild the coda.sys file from source.

There are currently 4 files included in the distribution:

    codawxp.sys
    codaw2k.sys
    fw2k-coda.sys
    fwxp-coda.sys

Depending on whether one is running Windows 2000 or XP, one selects two
of the files for coda.sys and fsdk-coda.sys.   NT4 and Windows server 2003
are not currently supported and the install script needs to make sure the
user knows that.

Also, there are legal notices that are shown during the current installation
process that most likely should be shown in any install.   Also, be aware
that the stability of Coda on Windows has been greatly dependent on which
version of the cygwin1.dll.  Currently, the cygwin installed with Coda is
over a year old because the current cygwin1.dll is much less stable with Coda
than the older version.

In the long run, it might be doable to make Coda be installed as part of a
standard cygwin installation.

--Phil

--
Phil Nelson                       NetBSD: http://www.NetBSD.org