Coda File System

Re: recent venus not running on recent netbsd

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_medic.chalmers.se>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 17:03:56 +0100
On Sat, Mar 04, 2006 at 11:45:05AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
> What I meant was  that when NetBSD changed ino_t from 32 to 64 bits,
> the ABI of the venus/kernel interface changed, so that venii compiled
> with old headers will no longer run on new kernels.  The right thing
> to do would have been to version the change so old venii ran, and used
> a new opcode for the 64 bit ino_t version, but really there's not a
> huge point in being able to run old venus binaries.

There is a point in having an ABI so that you could run the same
Venus binary on different machines, independently of the kernel version.
It is a pain to have to (re)compile user space according to the kernel,
I'd avoid that need if at all possible.

It would be nice also to be able to run a "Linux"-Venus on *BSD
under Linux-abi, but the differences in mount() make it most probably
impossible.

Cheers,
--
Ivan