Coda File System

Re: long-term destination of Coda?

From: M. Satyanarayanan <satya_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 11:33:20 -0500
Hi Adam,
  Rude questions understandable and forgiven :-)
Our goal is to continue to improve and enhance Coda, but the
rate at which we can do it is limited by our modest resources.
One way of accelerating the pace is for more members of the
open source community to contribute effort.

 Here are some things that have happened in the last 2-3 years:
   - support for realms (move to coda 6.0)
   - support for lookaside caching (e.g. use of USB keychains with Coda)
   - continuous ongoing improvements in the underlying system (coda 6.1 - 6.14)
   - Windows port of Coda
   - Mac OS X port of Coda

 In the pipeline is support of true encryption and security (ongoing,
and we hope to have a release for testing in the  next few months).
Also a version of Coda (7.0 probably) that relies exclusively on the
reintegration mechanism even when strongly connected (effectively
yielding write-back caching even at LAN speeds).

 The Web pages are way out of date.  I take most of the blame for that,
since I've have very few cycles to spare to do a complete cleanup of the
whole thing.   But rest assured, like mammals in the age of dinosaurs,
Coda is holding its own and continuing to evolve in a low-profile way.
You can help by raising its profile and contributing to improving it!

      -- Satya