Coda File System

Re: suse, etc. and venus-setup major num

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_medic.chalmers.se>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 21:17:29 +0200
On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 01:09:20PM -0500, Jan Harkes wrote:
> Putting a modprobe in the venus.init script doesn't work, because there
> is a non-deterministic amount of time between the loading of the kernel
> module and the appearance of the device.

A suggestion,

modprobe followed by a (timeout-checking) loop to see if the file
has appeared works for me and should work fine in most environments:

--------------
start)
  modprobe coda
  echon "waiting for Coda special file to appear... "
  count=""
  while [ ! -c /dev/cfs0 ]; do
    case x"$count" in
### 30 seconds elapsed ?
    x------------------------------*)
      echo "cfs0 activation timeout, giving up..."
      break
      ;;
    esac
    count="-$count"
    sleep 1
  done
  [ -c /dev/cfs0 ] && startstopvenus start
  ;;

Cheers,
--
Ivan