Coda File System

Application-Specific Resolution

From: Adam Wolbach <awolbach_at_andrew.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 02:27:39 -0400
Hey everyone,

I'm an undergraduate at Carnegie Mellon University that has been doing
work on Coda for the past year. The focus of this work has been towards
re-implementing Application-Specific Resolution (ASR) as a solution for
automatically repairing conflicts in Coda, both of the server/server and
local/global varieties. The Linux ASR framework has been completed and
is working in an experimental branch in the git repository. Over the
summer, I plan to implement several different resolvers (known as ASRs)
to solidify ASR's as a useful and lasting feature of the file system, as
well as port the framework to different platforms.

I would like to poll the community to find out what the most common and
annoying conflicts encountered are, in order to build a list of target
applications to write resolvers for. For example, I have already
implemented an ASR that automatically merges diverging copies of
OpenOffice v1/2 documents and spreadsheets. What other applications
(ideally Linux or Windows) cause the biggest headaches for Coda users?

Thanks for the input,

Adam Wolbach