Coda File System

Re: Version Skew with kernel

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 10:38:40 -0400
On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 03:00:42PM +0200, Reiner Dassing wrote:
> After reading the manuals and digging through the mailing lists
> I still stuck with the already mentioned venus error
> "WorkerInit: Version Skew with kernel! Get a newer kernel!"
> during startup of venus

Coda-5 and older used to use 96-bits to identify files, when realms were
introduced in Coda-6 we extended this file identifier to 128-bits. The
larger file id's broke kernel compatibility, so a compile-time option
was added to the 2.6 kernel module to switch back to the old format.

I don't know if you compiled your own kernel or not, but the Coda kernel
module was built with the 'Use 96-bit file identifiers' option enabled
(i.e. the old format).

If you built your own kernel, go to the kernel directory, edit the
.config and comment out 'CONFIG_CODA_FS_OLD_API' and run make ; make
modules_install ; rmmod coda ; modprobe coda.

If this is a distribution kernel, grab
    ftp.coda.cs.cmu.edu:/pub/coda/linux/kernel/linux-coda-6.3.tgz

Untar, make, make install, (depmod -a), rmmod coda, modprobe coda.
(not sure if the depmod is still necesary, but it can't hurt)