Coda File System

Re: Big coda partitions

From: <u+codalist-p4pg_at_chalmers.se>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 08:36:37 +0200
Hi Julian,

On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 12:09:01AM +0200, Julian Golderer wrote:
> I'd like to setup a coda partition with about 100GB. In the tutorial it
> says I should use a data partition with 5% of the coda partition. This

That calculation is a very old and for the most wrong approximation.
Search the mailing list or Coda wiki for detailed explanations.

> would be 5GB, but vice-setup-rvm only accepts 1GB which fails with
> following error message:
>
> Going to initialize data file to zero, could take awhile.
> done.
> ?  ERROR: rds_zap_heap RVM_EINTERNAL.

Change the corresponding case statement in vice-setup-rvm as follows:

1[Gg])
  dsparm=1073741824
  heapsize=0x3fef0000
  ;;

which might fix the problem. If it does, please report so that
the fix could be applied to mainstream.

You may also try to add the following numbers to the corresponding
"case" statement:

768)
  dsparm=805306368
  heapsize=0x2fef0000

and add 768 to the list of allowed sizes. I found 768M to be
the biggest rvm size which surely (that is, for different installations)
works on Linux.

> So I've to use 500MB (0.5%) for my data partition. Will this work?

That depeds on your file sizes. RVM limits the total amount of metainformation
about files, which means mostly "the number of files/dirs".
See rvmsizer program.

Regards, Rune