Coda File System

Re: Big coda partitions

From: Phil Nelson <phil_at_cs.wwu.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 22:30:16 -0700
On Monday 28 August 2006 15:09, Julian Golderer wrote:
> I'd like to setup a coda partition with about 100GB. In the tutorial it
> says I should use a data partition with 5% of the coda partition. This
> would be 5GB, but vice-setup-rvm only accepts 1GB which fails with
> following error message:
>
> Going to initialize data file to zero, could take awhile.
> done.
>
> So I've to use 500MB (0.5%) for my data partition. Will this work?

I'm running with 140GB of disk on each of my two servers.  What I have done
is to run two coda servers on each machine, each server using 500MB of
RVM and serving about 70G of disk.  I don't replicate volumes on the
servers running on the same machine.  (By the way, the host needs an
IP alias to run two servers because each server needs a unique IP.)

The 500 MB will limit the total number of files you can store on the
partition, but the 5% is based on a small file size.  If you are storing
much larger files, like I have a collection of my digital camera pictures
on my coda server, you can easily run out of your disk on your partition
before you run out of directory space in RVM.  This is especially true
if you start putting on "big files" on your coda server (see the most
recent release announcement.)  While the big files are split up, the
minimum size in the current hunk of a "big file" is 1Mb and that is
large enough that the 0.5% RVM should be great!  (Big file support is
currently available only on Windows.)

If you need more details of my setup, just ask.

--Phil

--
Phil Nelson                       NetBSD: http://www.NetBSD.org
e-mail: phil@cs.wwu.edu           Coda: http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu