Coda File System

Re: reliability,performance ?

From: <michel.brabants_at_euphonynet.be>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 10:06:11 +0200 (CEST)
Hello,

for what it is worth, my thoughts about coda. I really want to deploy coda
(it seems a good distributed filesystem), but the following things are
stopping me from doing this:

 * 2 GB file-limit on linux. I've read that there is a patch for windows,
but the question is how long before a stable patch wil be merged with the
linux-code?
 * The faulty re-integration you mentionned that happens from time to time
it seems. This is a bad one or can it be detected and solved manually (at
least it is detected and solvable then). I read about a coda-rewrite, is
this already done in coda 6.x?

We need the distributed filesystenm to eventually (can be within a month
or later) store terabytes of data. I don't think that this is a problem
with coda.
I think that coda is my filesystem of choice for the moment, if it wasn't
for the above things.
I want to add one last thing. I read that if a client is in disconnected
mode, 2x the space of files is/can be used because of keeping a copy of
the latest connected-version or so? Maybe I didn't get it and maybe you do
it already, but couldn't you for example only specify the blocks (on the
filesystem) that have changed? Maybe there are better solutions.
ASR seems to be nice. Reintegration of subversion-repositories could maybe
be done by using subversion-merge or so in my case.

Greetings,

Michel