Coda File System

Re: What I'm doing wrong (2server per INET and Routers)

From: <u+codalist-p4pg_at_chalmers.se>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 09:25:51 +0200
Hi Andreas,

On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 09:38:02PM +0200, Andreas Kneiseler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have the following Configuration:
>

> [ Server 1 Linux] 192.168.15.100
>               -> server1.za-pp.de  (Address isn't resolvable tthrough INET)
> [ Router from QSC, all Ports are redericted to Server 1 ]
>               -> gw1.za-pp.de inside 192.168.15.254
>                |                         outside fixed ipaddress
>                |                         (not under my control, for every
> change I need to call a tech)
> [ *** INTERNET *** ]
> [ Router SMC2804, I put Server 2 in DMZ ]
>                -> gw2.za-pp.de inside 192.168.3.1
>                |                          outside ip is changeing per DSL
> [ Server 2 Linux ] 192.168.15.191
>                 -> server2.za-pp.de

1. you are not going to access your servers from outside your internal networks,
right? Otherwise it is not going to work.

2. It is not going to work even inside your prvate networks unless
you tunnel your traffic so that you logically either have one single net, or
connected private networks.

Coda protocol for the moment relies on fixed server ip addresses,
so that both the server itself, other servers and the clients have
exactly the same idea of what the server ip number is.

Your setup does not seem to fulfill that criteria, as packets to
private addresses are not routable through Internet.

Let me try to say that in a different wording.

Globally usable Coda servers currently can not be placed behind NAT firewalls.
The only exception is if your external addresses are really static _and_ if you
do some unusual network configuration tricks.

In your situation ip-tunneling seems to be the only option.

If you are looking for using your servers from outside, you are unfortunately
out of luck, unless you can arrange a static DSL address.
Even then, instead of spending time on an ugly workaround, you may try
to contribute to Coda development by fixing the problem, or at least
lobby for it being fixed :)

The Coda developers are well aware of the problem with the protocol and it will
be certainly solved, but there is no expected time of arrival of the fix yet.

Regards,
Rune