Coda File System

Re: First Coda Installation

From: <u+codalist-p4pg_at_chalmers.se>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 20:01:39 +0200
On Sat, Oct 21, 2006 at 12:57:09PM -0400, Jan Harkes wrote:
> >  - Coda update client (updateclnt -h coda0.omni-ts.com)
> > Creating /vice/spool
> >  - Coda file server (startserver)
> > coda0:/ #
>
> The basic configuration is ready, however the initial root volume did
> not get created. So I assume the server startup failed somehow. Check

the right script, but there was no visible indication of the failure.

> If it is the hostname resolution problem the fix is fairly simple. Edit
> /etc/hosts, remove the servers name from the loopback interface and add
> a new entry which has the server's real ip-address and hostname. Then

The logic behind the hostname ending up on the local address line is probably
the fact that /etc/hosts is used _locally_, and locally a good place to contact
oneself is the local interface.

Coda protocol embeds the servers' ip numbers (from each server's point
of view) thus exporting unsuitable information to the clients.
The problem will disappear when it will be the clients who resolve
the server's fqdn to the corresponding ip number (a planned change, afaik).

Best regards, Rune