Coda File System

Re: Windows XP - Disk Usage

From: Phil Nelson <phil_at_cs.wwu.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 22:32:23 -0700
> One thing I did notice is that the disk usage reported by explorer is
>
> Are these numbers off on purpose to fool Windows for some reason?

Sorry.  Those numbers are off.  I got real irritated at windows popping up
the "your disk is nearly full" messages whenever the cache got full.  (I
used to report the cache size and cache used numbers for the volume size.)

I couldn't find a way to convince Windows to ignore the fact that the disk
looked full.   So the way I did it was to produce weird numbers.

In the next beta I'll try to produce numbers closer to the cache size.
I may report the capacity as twice the size of the cache and the use as
the usage of the cache.  That way a full cache looks to windows that it still
has a half empty disk and doesn't start popping up those annoying "please
delete some files on this disk" windows.

--Phil

--
Phil Nelson                       NetBSD: http://www.NetBSD.org
e-mail: phil@cs.wwu.edu           Coda: http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu