Coda File System

Re: replication server Access denied to file db/ROOTVOLUME.

From: <u+codalist-p4pg_at_chalmers.se>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 11:15:24 +0100
Hi Achim,

On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 10:31:59AM +0100, Achim Stumpf wrote:
> [root_at_clusty1 vice]# updatedb
> [root_at_clusty1 vice]# locate ROOTVOLUME

> With find or locate I can't find such a file on my system. Is that File
> important? Why vice-setup did not create it during
> installation/configuration?

No, that file is not necessary AFAIK. It has existed historically to let
the administrator choose a custom name for the root volume.
That possibility does not make much sence,
as any name will do equally well.
Now the default name is "/" but the ROOTVOLUME file still can be used
to override the default, by putting the name in the file.
Not that I see any reason to do so.

The vice-setup script as well as other ones is not perfect,
but nobody has volunteered to redo the scripts properly,
and Jan has more important things to work on.
Jan makes of course improvements to the scripts and fixes glitches
but the scripts should be rewritten to a larger degree.

Regards,
Rune