Coda File System

Re: Getting Started with Coda on AMD64

From: <u+codalist-p4pg_at_chalmers.se>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 12:38:33 +0100
Hi Brian,

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 03:53:42PM -0500, Brian DeRocher wrote:
> I created a new user brian with pdbtool, but i can't change his
> password with au.   I get the same output four different ways.

User passwotrd management is not totally intuitive.

You have to

1. create an account with pdbtool
2. create a password record for the account with "au nu"
3. then you can reset a password with "au cp"

> I do have an MIT Kerberos KDC running on this machine, but Coda doesn't
> use it, right?

Not in a default configuration.

Coda can use it, but the current Kerberos-related code is mostly unmaintained
and hardly used by anyone (?), while the existing "new" support for Kerberos
did not yet made its way to the upstream codebase.

Coda and Kerberos identities can/should not in general be mapped one-to-one,
which implies a need for some changes in the way Coda handles accounts -
to be able to properly use Kerberos (as well as other authentication means)
without subsiding to its/their limitations.

Those changes have not yet been done.

Going with Kerberos lets you use possibly existing (Kerberos) account databases
and/or password administration tools, otherwise there is little need for it.

Regards,
Rune