Coda File System

Re: Mailing list issues

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 10:14:36 -0500
On Sat, Feb 10, 2007 at 08:26:47AM -0500, Davor Ocelic wrote:
> I've noticed some issues with this mailing list.
>
> 1) There's a huge time gap from when you send an email to the list
>     to when you receive it yourself. (I know, this might partly related
>     to the number of subscribers), but it's still way too long.

No, the address you use as a sender is not subscribed to the list so
anything you send as that sender ends up in my codalist-admin folder.
I bounce it back to the list whenever it is not spam. So the gap is the
frequency at which I happen go through that folder and filter the spams
from the hams.

> 2) The reply-to header is wrong (replies aren't directed back to the list
>     but to individual people)

Never heard about the evils of header munging? The list is using the
standard List- headers and as far as I know a client could interpret
these to provide a 'list-reply' option to the user. I think my client
(mutt) uses this whenever I hit 'L'.

You can also add a reply-to header to your outgoing mails, since the
list doesn't mess them up. Pretty much the same thing with Subject:
[foo] rewriting. I don't like that either since it ends up being
impossible to remove the [foo] header, while it is trivial to get mail
filtered to the right place based on other headers.

> 3) I just tried sending an email which didn't go through on first attempt:
>
> [14:16:13] SMTP> MAIL FROM:<docelic_at_hcoop.net>
> [14:16:14] SMTP< 250 Sender <docelic_at_hcoop.net> Ok
> [14:16:14] SMTP> RCPT TO:<codalist_at_coda.cs.cmu.edu>
> [14:16:14] SMTP< 250 Recipient <codalist_at_coda.cs.cmu.edu> Ok
> [14:16:14] SMTP> DATA
> [14:16:14] SMTP< 354 Ok Send data ending with <CRLF>.<CRLF>
> [14:16:14] SMTP> . (EOM)
> [14:16:27] SMTP< 452 Filesystem error - message not accepted
> ** error occurred on SMTP session
> ** Error occurred while sending the message.

Not sure who you connected to, I don't even see it in the logs. Maybe
you got greylisted, but I think we send a politer message in that case.

> Could you improve the service a bit to fix this?
>
> If not, we've got an infrastructure that allows us quick mailing list
> instantiation on GNU Mailman with separate Mailman admin interfaces
> for each list. If you want, we could move a list to @hcoop.net and
> eventually even add some DNS record to mask the @hcoop.net
> domain if you wouldn't like it in the mailing list's address.

I think there is a whitelist somewhere that I can add your sender
address to. That way any further mails should get passed along
automatically.