Coda File System

New setup questions

From: Davor Ocelic <docelic_at_hcoop.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 03:19:22 +0100
Hello folks,

I'm considering the use of Coda in the following system:

  - 32 GB of data currently on file server, consisting of
  - 342000 files, accross
  - 1000 directories

(Accumulated in 4 years).

File sizes are up to 5 MB. Most commonly about 100 KB.

File server clients would almost exclusively just read data
and would not need random files from the file server. There's
some number of files which are "always in", but the rest
are popular for a period of time and then "fade away".
(I, however, can't tell how much of the current size could be
reduced by archiving and deleting really old files, or if that
would be possible at all).

Clients would have ~4 gigabytes of RAM each, but it would
be good to have as much as possible free for Apache
processes.

Currently, I know for sure there will be one dedicated file server,
and another server replicating its contents. (This other
server will be performing its own things and should not
be used actively as a file server while the master is
working well).

Systems will most probably be Intel 64bits.

Even though I've got some specifications in my head,
I have opened hands regarding the hardware to acquire
for this purpose. I would appreciate all organizational
hardware and software Coda-related suggestions.

Thanks,
-doc