Coda File System

Re: Wiki: Quick Test Coda page

From: Davor Ocelic <docelic_at_hcoop.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 13:03:23 +0100
On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 00:42:56 -0500
Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 11, 2007 at 01:48:26AM +0100, Davor Ocelic wrote:
> >
> > Please take a look at
> >
> > 	http://coda.wikidev.net/Quick_Test_Coda
>
> Shouldn't there be a 'cvs login' before the checkout? Or has the use of
> cvs login become unnecessary now that anonymous cvs repositories are
> pretty much everywhere.

Whether it's absolutely necessary probably depends on some CVS
type or version (since I've seen servers requireing it even when the password
is empty), but for the great majority of servers, it works just as fine without.
(And it works without for coda.cs.cmu.edu).

>   Follow up operations
>
> I don't think coda-setup-ports is really necessary anymore. The Coda
> ports were registered with IANA in 1997 or 1998 and pretty much every
> /etc/services file has those entries by default.

Yes, possibly. In any case, I've verified that the script does no harm,
and running it may just prevent problems. In worst case, it's a no-op.

> venus-setup may create a couple of directories that the Coda client
> probably should just do when it is started for the first time, maybe it
> already does. The realm here is unnecessary for first users. Venus (the
> Coda client) actually doesn't even use that information, only
> clog/cpasswd use it if the realm is not explicitly specified. If I type
> 'clog' without arguments it will prompt for a password for my local
> login name @ default realm in the venus.conf file (which is the one set
> by venus-setup). Also the client tries to avoid realms that don't look
> like fqdn names, i.e. without any periods in the name. It would be
> better to use realm.local or something similar.

Yes. I've seen notes of this command not being important any more,
but it still creates Coda directories, the device file and a few other small
things which are useful (at least on Linux).

The "realm" I used in the command was provided only because it's
required to get venus-setup run, and I just used the world "realm"
without expecting people to replace it with their own value.

Anyway, looking at it now, it does also call coda-setup-ports by itself,
so the earlier manual call can be removed.

> Finally the cfs0 device is created by udev after the kernel module is
> loaded. udev is kind of annoying that way, with the traditional static
> /dev and devfs, the cfs0 device always existed and the coda kernel
> module is autoloaded whenever it is opened. With udev everything is
> turned around, it expects that hardware is found, which loads a module
> which in turn triggers the creation of the device node. Of course with
> Coda there is no hardware to be found, so this doesn't work. One
> workaround I've used is to add "/sbin/modprobe coda ; /sbin/udevsettle"
> to the init script before starting venus, but I think udevsettle may not
> exist for all used versions of udev.

Well, I could add this information, but the point of the command line
I gave is that it works in all cases, which is the primary thing I wanted
to achieve.

Regards,
-doc