Coda File System

Re: Coda Built-In vs. Kerberos Authentication

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 20:42:33 -0400
On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 02:24:53PM +0000, Paulo Andre wrote:
> On Mar 20, 2007, at 7:03 PM, Jan Harkes wrote:
>
> >>I'm interested in users - which authenticate via an external LDAP
> >>server on their workstations - having their homes mounted upon login
> >>on the /coda filesystem. Does this mean this will only work with a
> >
> >Home directories don't have to be mounted explicitly.
>
> I'm afraid I don't follow you here. You mean home directories should
> already be mounted prior to the user logging in?

Once a user's volume is created, an administrator creates a mount link
(i.e. cfs mkm /coda/my.realm/home/<user> <uservolumename>)

This stores the mount information in the file system and from that point
anyone can go to /coda/my.realm/home/<user> and their Coda client will
see the mounlink, perform a lookup for the volume and automatically
mount the new volume. So automounting is already built into the system
and except for creating that mountlink once when the volume is created
there is no additional action or administration required for any Coda
client to see the new volume.