Coda File System

Re: Strange timeouts / no such device

From: Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen_at_xemacs.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 15:44:46 +0900
Enrico Weigelt writes:

 > * Enrico Weigelt <weigelt_at_metux.de> wrote:
 >
 > BTW: would be cool, if the local or global version could be
 > removed by simply removing their representing files.

This is simply not possible, since local and global versions do not
exist as "representing files".  The versions exist as metadata in the
server volumes and in the client daemon, as well as the container
files in the volumes and in the client cache.  In the end you would
stil need a utility with all the functionality of `repair' in order to
find the containers and make the metadata consistent with the desired
resolution.

The UI for repair could be made smoother, I'm sure, but I don't think
it's possible to reduce it much below

cfs beginrepair file-in-conflict
discardalllocal
cfs endrepair

which is what we already have (at least in theory, repair was pretty
buggy the last few times I've tried it).  What would be nice would be
a better interface for more complex repair situations, where multiple
changes to the same file need to be integrated, or where it's not
obvious which changes should be discarded.