Coda File System

Re: Strange timeouts / no such device

From: Greg Troxel <gdt_at_ir.bbn.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 09:00:40 -0400
"Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen_at_xemacs.org> writes:

> Enrico Weigelt writes:
>
>  > * Enrico Weigelt <weigelt_at_metux.de> wrote:
>  >
>  > BTW: would be cool, if the local or global version could be
>  > removed by simply removing their representing files.
>
> This is simply not possible, since local and global versions do not
> exist as "representing files".  The versions exist as metadata in the
> server volumes and in the client daemon, as well as the container
> files in the volumes and in the client cache.  In the end you would
> stil need a utility with all the functionality of `repair' in order to
> find the containers and make the metadata consistent with the desired
> resolution.
>
> The UI for repair could be made smoother, I'm sure, but I don't think
> it's possible to reduce it much below
>
> cfs beginrepair file-in-conflict
> discardalllocal
> cfs endrepair

I think what Enrico was suggesting was that after beginrepair exploded
the file into file/local and file/server1, that if one did 'rm
file/local' that would be discardlocal, and then endrepair would
realize the conflict would be gone.  Then you could easily write
scripts and use unix tools.   Or maybe he didn't mean that and it's
what I think would be cool.