Coda File System

Re: rpc2 check for yacc/bison

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 18:58:23 -0400
On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 05:37:32PM -0400, Davor Ocelic wrote:
> The rpc2 library is missing a ./configure check for the existence
> of yacc, so ylwrap gets called and fails during the build, instead
> of warning in advance.

It does check for both lex and yacc.

    AM_PROG_LEX
    AC_PROG_YACC

However the default autoconf macro doesn't fail if the files are not
found. I guess for some source trees the tarball could contain
pre-generated c files so that a missing lex or yacc binary wouldn't
actually be a fatal error.

> A patch for this would be nice.

Do you want configure to fail when it can't find either of these?

Having configure fail when things aren't found is not as straight
forward with builtin checks, we would end up testing some internal
variable and call AC_MSG_ERROR if it is not set as expected, but that
internal variable may change between autoconf releases. On the other
hand, it isn't like we don't already rely on testing some internal
variables in places, especially the kerberos5 related test in Coda's
configure.