Coda File System

Re: discrepancies in coda documentation

From: PROYECTO SOLIDARIO (Eric Van Buggenhaut) <eric_at_proyectosolidario.org>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 02:32:31 +0200
Davor Ocelic wrote:
> On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 03:18:27PM +0200, PROYECTO SOLIDARIO (Eric Van Buggenhaut) wrote:
>> Until now it's been unsuccesful, first of all I think because of
>> discrepancies between documentation. I mainly looked at:
>>
>> http://coda.wikidev.net
>> http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/doc/html/coda-howto.html
>> http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/doc/html/manual/index.html
>> http://linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/4481
>>
>> All documents refer for example to the venus-setup script, which isn't
>> shipped in cmu's debian packages, and I didn't find alternatives to it.
>
> Actually I think that venus-setup is shipped with Debian GNU packages,
> but that script is not important anyway. It just tunes your
> venus.conf file, which you can open and edit manually.
>
>> Also some documentation (linuxplanet) tells me to edit the VSGDB file
>> which I can find on my systems (/vice/db/VSGDB)
>
> Yes, the name of this file was changed.
>
>> So when I try to create replicated volumes like
>>
>> createvol_rep codaroot E0000100 /vicepa
>>
>> I get:
>>
>> Server E0000100 not in servers file
>
> I think the vice-setup script is included in Debian server package.
> So after installation of the package, just run that script and follow
> the session transcript from "Quick Server Action" Wiki page.
>
>> Last but no least, some doc indicates the use of:
>>
>> cfs lv / cfs uk
>>
>> to mount/unmount shares
>>
>> and other mentions:
>>
>> cfs mkm / cfs rmm
>
> No, cfs lv is just a convenient way to contact the remote server and
> make it appear as a directory inside /coda/, such as
> cfs lv /coda/testserver.cs.cmu.edu . (The "testserver.cs.cmu.edu"
> appearing in /coda/ after you run that command is a convenient
> side-effect, and has nothing to do with mounting).
>
> cfs mkm and rmm are the actual "mounting" commands, even though you
> might know that they are very different from the Unix/NFS/Samba style of
> mounting.

Hi Davor, thanks for your reply.

I'm still in doubt,

If I simply run

cfs lv /coda/mekas.proyectosolidario.org/

as the vice-setup script offers, I can access the volume and creates
files on it:

pico:/home/eric# ls /coda/mekas.proyectosolidario.org/
pico:/home/eric# mkdir /coda/mekas.proyectosolidario.org/Red
pico:/home/eric# ls /coda/mekas.proyectosolidario.org/
Red

So my question is, do I need to run cfs mkm ? If I don't where are the
files I created physically stored ?

--
Eric Van Buggenhaut