Coda File System

Re: Coda reconnaissance

From: Davor Ocelic <docelic_at_hcoop.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 12:21:58 -0400
On Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 03:02:41AM -0700, +draco+ wrote:

> Hello,

Hi, let me answer the questions I know something about..

> Have you got any experience in using Coda in this manner?

Having user homedirs on Coda? Yes.

> How big overhead on disk operations does CodaFS introduce in comparison
> with working on local FS? I'm asking because NFS, which I used lately,
> introduced a lot of overhead.

This whole "NFS introduces a lot of overhead" saying is a bit shady.
I mean, maybe you had unrealistic expectations in the beginning.

You can take a look at some benchmarks at Coda Wiki,
	http://coda.wikidev.net/Small_file_performance

The test performed there is pretty simple, but it could give you an idea.

>From my experience, unless you have some specific performance
requirements, the fileserver is a non-issue.

> Can I configure Coda so that the logged user would have access only to
> data he is allowed to access?

Yes, of course. The commands to do so are 'cfs setacl' (cfs sa) and
'cfs listacl' (cfs la). Coda supports a much more flexible permissions
system than the usual rwxrwxrwx thing...

> And finally, is Coda project actively supported by now?

Yes. The docs are always good for more in-depth knowledge, while
Wiki contains quick bits to get you up to speed.

See you,
-doc