Coda File System

Re: building coda on linux2.6.19 from cvs

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 15:15:25 -0400
On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 02:44:39PM +0200, Czuczy Gergely wrote:
> It's a ubuntu LTS dapper, and i'm building inside a chroot where
> the kernel headers are installed.
>
> We're using grsec patches for the kernel, if that matters.
>
> /usr/src/linux-2.6.19.7/ contains the kernel from I've built the binary
> that I will use on the box. This is a building box, and the procedure
> takes place in a chroot.
>
> I've tried to symlink the build to /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.6.19.7/
> which was generated from the linux-2.6.19.7 by make-kpkg, but I still
> get the same error.

You definitely should not have to add any extra symlinks, maybe you are
missing something like, 'linux-kbuild-2.6.19.7'

The kernel headers by themselves are not enough, the linux-kbuild
package contains some of the architecture independent kernel build
infrastructure that is also needed. But since it is showing CC [M] on
the compile line I would assume that that package is installed.

Something must be missing from the chroot environment, but I have no
idea what it may be. I wonder if your build is somehow picking up
headers from /usr/include/linux which are the cleaned up userspace
version and cannot be used for building kernel modules.

You said there were also lots of warnings previously, maybe there is a
more interesting one there.

btw. could you try,

    make clean
    make V=1

And send me the resulting output. The V=1 should make the build process
a bit more verbose, so it may be possible to see if it is picking up the
wrong headers somehow.