Coda File System

Re: how to do replication

From: <u+codalist-p4pg_at_chalmers.se>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 22:35:41 +0200
Hi All,

On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 03:38:45PM -0400, Jan Harkes wrote:
> So a better solution is to provide a mapping from a realm name to a
> group of servers. This can be done either by adding a SRV record to dns,
> or by adding a line in /etc/coda/realms which contains the realm name
> followed by the list of the root servers for that realm.

My usual comment (the above is perfectly correct) :

There is a big difference between putting that information in DNS -
when it is instantly available to all possible clients,
and putting it in a file on each client, which is tedious, error-prone
and unnecessary, given availability of DNS.

Relying on the file is also mostly impossible as soon as you want
"foreign" clients to access your realm, which is a natural
mode of operation. ("foreign" means "not administrated by you")

Note that your legitimate users may want to or need to use "foreign" clients.

The /etc/coda/realms is a suitable means to test volatile setups,
but not a desirable way of administration of a realm.

DNS should be indeed set up on a global basis, so that your SRV records
are available everywhere, not only on computers where you tweak
/etc/resolv.conf - you may need to talk to the guys who maintain DNS for your
domain(s) to do it properly.

Rune