Coda File System

Re: Initial Coda FS Load

From: <u+codalist-p4pg_at_chalmers.se>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 20:36:12 +0100
Hi Robin,

On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 01:34:48PM -0500, Robin Cavanaugh wrote:
> Is there a way other than as a venus client to load data into the coda
> file system? Basically, I was hoping to, with all clients disconnected,

No.

> fill up the server with the data, and then allow other clients to
> connect. By going through the client, even on the local server with no
> other clients connected, I get a lot of (Red/Yellow) stalling writer
> messages.

Populating Coda realms with data can be a pain, especially if the data
consists of a lot of files and directories. Coda is designed to access
and change the data quite efficiently, but it is not optimized
for bulk copies.

Be prepared and
1. do _not_ use a client on the same machine as the server
   (you have looked at the Wiki, haven't you?
   http://coda.wikidev.net/Why_to_avoid_a_client/server_combination).
2. use the best available tools,
   gnu tar is _not_ good (makes a lot of extra and as such potentially
   dangerous operations, see strace output if you doubt),
   cp -a alikes seem to be better, ymmv.
3. make sure you know which part of the data has been successfully copied
   so that you do not have to begin from the beginning if it breaks
   in the middle, nor have to make (expensive) checks.

Regards,
Rune