Coda File System

Re: Files Bigger Than Cache Size

From: <coda_at_bobich.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 12:18:43 +0000 (GMT)
On Wed, 30 Jan 2008, u+codalist-p4pg_at_chalmers.se wrote:

> I think there are answers to your questions in the Coda mailing list
> archive, but I could agree it is not easy to search.
> (You may help others in a similar situation by putting the questions
> with answers on Coda wiki)

OK, I'll look into it when I have my setup up and running.

>> How does Coda client handle cases where the file being accessed is bigger
>> than the cache size?
>
> It doesn't.
>
>> The howto says not to use caches bigger than 300MB.
>
> I am routinely running with 2GB cache.

Right. So to handle 2GB files, the RVM log would also need to be 2GB? I
noticed that 8GB cache works fine, but at 16GB (on 32-bit x86) venus seems
to fail to initialize.

>> So, what happens when I need to use, say, a 4.5GB DVD ISO? How is this
>> condition handled?
>
> It is not.
>
> 1. Coda does not handle files over 2G in size.
> 2. A Coda client reads the whole file into the cache at open() so unless
> you have a _really_ fast network you do not usually want to wait as long.

Not exactly a big problem in the day and age of gigabit ethernet. :-)

Gordan