Coda File System

Re: Version Skew with kernel: Please guide

From: <u+codalist-p4pg_at_chalmers.se>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 13:55:16 +0200
Hi Dhiraj,

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 03:51:21PM +0530, dhiraj_c_at_students.iiit.ac.in wrote:
> on my system having Red Hat 7.2 with 2.4.20-8 kernel version.

This kernel is
1. really old
2. most probably quite different from the vanilla 2.4.20 kernel
as Red Hat seems to like to heavily patch its kernels

> hence i downloaded the following tar file
>
> linux-coda-6.3.tgz from /pub/coda/linux/kernel/ on the ftp
>
> but when i try to do "make" i get compilation errors.

My guess of the reasons is above.

> Please guide me where am I going wrong.

May be nothing wrong. It can be e.g. an indication that Red Hat 2.4.20-8 kernel
is not supported with Coda, kind of. Once I had a mail conversation with Red Hat
and they stated that they do not support Coda, period. Current Red Hat distributions
omit Coda kernel module (Coda works though if the kernel module is compiled separately).

If at all possible, try to switch to a newer/different Linux distribution, this
should make Coda installation trivial. Don't forget that there is a "universal"
binary installer of Coda userspace from Aetey.

Regards,
Rune