Coda File System

Re: Coda newbie

From: <u+codalist-wk5r_at_chalmers.se>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 23:20:51 +0200
Hi,

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 03:56:14PM -0400, Jan Harkes wrote:
> > Would you recommend to use it under FreeBSD or Debian?
>
> There was a good push to get a working Coda release out for the most
> recent FreeBSD-stable release. I think it works pretty well now. I tend

IIRC there still were some issues under Linux ABI on FreeBSD, namely
that directories on Coda could not be read beyond the first block/page
(opening files works even if their names are not on the first page in
the directory).
I guess the glitch is not in Coda but in the ABI layer.

> to mostly use a Debian based system myself, but haven't heard complaints
> from people using Coda on Fedora or Gentoo either. I think there are

If the distribution does not cripple the kernel, Coda will work fine.

Some distros' packages can be old or broken. (e.g. Gentoo ebuild has been
broken for a long time, placing Coda mount at some other place than /coda.
2008-07-12 I got a reply to my bug report from 2006-08-17 - note the years.
Now there is an experimental ebuild which adds a symlink /coda -> ....
so it _may_ work on Gentoo now)

The universal installer (http://www.aetey.se/index.php?Static&pg=CodaInstHowto)
is your friend on any distro.

Regards,