Coda File System

Re: IPv6 status?

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 12:06:38 -0400
On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 09:40:51PM +0000, Markus Pfeiffer wrote:
> What is the current status of ipv6 support for coda? I have seen that rpc2 has
> ipv6 support and that some of the daemons seem to communicate via ipv6 but
> some other things obviously do not work.

Coda clients and servers use the ipv4 addresses as a 32-bit unique
identifier and the volume location query responses don't contain
hostnames, but ipv4 addresses.

There is quite a bit of work left to get the clients and servers to the
point where we can actually use ipv6 addresses.

> I am asking because it is quite easy these days to obtain an ipv6 prefix and
> then I would have more public IP adresses to replicate servers.

And it would avoid having to go through masquerading firewalls, etc.
It definitely would be a good thing.