Coda File System

Re: Server changing IP address

From: <u+codalist-wk5r_at_chalmers.se>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 07:34:02 +0100
Hi Fredrik,

On Sun, Dec 07, 2008 at 10:37:50PM +0100, Fredrik Roubert wrote:
> Hm, mklka seems to be totally undocumented. Is that so? The only
> documentation I can find at all is this:
>
> http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/maillists/codalist/codalist-2003/5215.html

Can not say for sure about documentation, but anyway you should not have
to run it explicitely, as long as the only use is for preserving the cache
at reinit. Just use cocli.

> This makes me think that the following is the correct command sequence:
>
> mv venus.cache venus.cache.old
> mklka index.lka venus.cache.old
> venus -init
> cfs lka +$PWD/index.lka

Yes, something like that, assuming that venus is not running.
(note that this command sequence will not be very efficient if you already
have got venus.cache.old and that the third time it will not work at all)

> Is that correct? This will lead to having two cache directories, one
> venus.cache and one venus.cache.old. Should that be so? If so, when can
> venus.cache.old be removed?

Well, when you like.

The earlier you remove the lookaside storage, the more
cache misses will be served from the servers instead.

As an example, cocli removes the old cache copy at the next reinit.

Regards,
Rune