Coda File System

Re: endianness issues on volume dumps

From: Greg Troxel <gdt_at_ir.bbn.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 08:29:02 -0500
Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu> writes:

> It looks to me like the dump pretty much assumes 32-bits and stores
> everything in big-endian order. I looked at both dumpstuff and readstuff
> and didn't see any obvious endian or 64-bit issues. Well everything uses
> unsigned int instead of uint32_t, but I'm pretty sure that really
> shouldn't make a difference on x86_84 or amd64 machines, I think
> something like that may have only mattered on alpha.

It would be good to convert to uint32_t and verify no regressions on
i386, just for cleanliness.  The PDP-11 coda port is going to run into
trouble on this point, since after all int is 16 bits there.  Of course
they have a long way to do before the backup format is the biggest
problem.  My NetBSD/alpha machine is powered off, but I dimly remember
int being 64 bits there.