Coda File System

Re: coda limitations: volume name length NOT 32 characters

From: root <coda_at_voidembraced.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 14:33:16 -0800
>> When I create a volume with only 16 characters, it works fine.  I think
>> there must be some padding or "reserved" space within the 32 allotted
>> characters.  From looking at the message above (1st item to follow) and
>
> Right, volume replicas get ".?" siffixes and there is also possible ".backup"

Ok, so it looks that the volume name has a 30 character [usable space]
limitation, or a 23 character [usable space] limitation if, I assume during
the volume creation process, one selects backup = y.

As a side note, I'd think that for use in a limited space field, something
along the lines of ".bak" or even ".b" would be preferrable over ".backup".
Is this trivial to change, or would it be a monumental refactor?

Regardless, what does setting up backup to yes actually mean in the volume
creation process?

I found this, but the information contained wasn't useful ;)
http://coda.wikidev.net/The_Coda_Administration_and_User_Manual#The_Backup_S
ystem

Regards,
 -Don