Coda File System

Re: SCM promotion

From: <u+codalist-wk5r_at_chalmers.se>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 15:09:10 +0200
Hi Don,

On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 04:44:10AM -0700, root wrote:
> >    /vice/vol/VRList.

This file is kept in sync on all servers of a realm,
if you installed with "coser".

> >If you have a copy of that file on another server, the other server
> >can replace the SCM. The /vice/db/scm file needs to be updated on
> >all servers, and the updateclnt/updatesrv daemons need to be
> >restarted (/etc/rc.d/init.d/update.init restart)

Note that the contents of /vice/db/scm is compared to the contents
of /vice/hostname which is used as the server name in the context
of the Coda realm. This is valid for "coser" installations.

> Is this still true in general, but specifically for modular-clog based
> deployments?

You mean probably the "coser" installer, clog is not relevant in this
context.

> Which hosts must the updateclnt/updatesrv daemons be restarted?  I assume
> the newly promoted SCM and any remaining coda server (vice) hosts, but I
> wish to be certain.

All server hosts in the realm need the update daemons to be (re)started
after the modification of the /vice/db/scm files. It is best to take all
of them down before any modifications and start when all modifications
are done. Otherwise you have to understand how they interact and in which
cases they might overwrite your modifications on the fly.

Actually if you want to change which host is the scm while all servers
are up, make the change of /vice/db/scm on the former scm, wait to let
the change propagate and then restart the update daemons everywhere. Done.

Cheers,
Rune