Coda File System

Re: Still newbie: server/auth2 setup...

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 10:25:03 -0400
On Sun, Jul 04, 2010 at 12:06:27PM +0200, Alec Leamas wrote:
> On the remote network, there are two clients. Both are Fedora 13
> boxes, configured identically (one being the laptop mentioned
> above). Still, one client can clog and use the /coda directory, the
> other one can't. From a DNS perspective, the clients look the same
> from server side. Both clients sees the same DNS server.
>
> The failing client gets no error message after the clog command.
> However, ctokens doesn't show any tokens at all, and /coda is thus
> empty. The one that works of course lists its token OK and /coda
> looks fine.
>
> Both clients can connect to testserver.coda.cs.cmu.edu without problems(!)
>
> Raising the log level I can see a difference in the communication
> pattern between client-server in the two clog cases (one more
> request-reply combo?), but the log does not reveal anything about
> the actual message contents.
>
> On the failing client, venus.err tells me that cunlog actually
> discards the token it got through clog, but doesn't show using
> ctokens. This only happens after a seemingly succesful clog. So it
> seems that the client somehow doesn't want to use its token, nor
> want's to display it with ctokens.
>
> Still confused, but at a higher level... any hint out there?

I think your login might actually have succeeded, but that the kernel
happens to show only a cached /coda from before the token was obtained
and the act of authenticating doesn't invalidate this cache so you don't
automatically see your realm appear. Combine this with the very
simplistic method that ctokens uses to iterate through all available
realms, it does a readdir() on /coda, and it may seem that your client
didn't successfully authenticate.

One thing to try is to specify the realm with ctokens, to make it not
rely on readdir results, but check directly if we happen to have a token
for that specific realm,

    ctokens @testserver.coda.cs.cmu.edu

The second thing to realize is that authentication and accessing realms
is somewhat independent of each other. You can make a realm appear by
simply running "ls" or some other action on an unknown realm-name in
/coda and if the client discovers a Coda server there it will
automatically create a directory entry for the newly discovered realm.

    ls /coda/testserver.coda.cs.cmu.edu