Coda File System

Coda status quo and future

From: Jaap Winius <jwinius_at_umrk.nl>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 19:15:59 +0200
Hi all,

To me, the Coda file system seems like an amazing concept. I'm
currently studying OpenAFS, but Coda has all kinds of mouth-watering
featured that OpenAFS doesn't, such as disconnected mode, intrinsic
replication of RW volumes, redundancy across server, etc.

Unfortunately, rumor has it that Coda never was intended as and is
never going to be suitable as a production file system -- that it's
really just a research project. But, perhaps those people are not
aware that there have been quite a few releases during the past
decade, with the last one only 18 months old. However, development
does seem to have tapered off.

So, how should the current release be viewed? Can it be recommend for anything
beyond experimentation? And what does the future of the project look
like? Does it actually have one? Will it ever be considered as a
serious alternative to OpenAFS (for optimists)? Should we keen an eye
on it and hold our breath?

Thanks,

Jaap