Coda File System

Permissions Issues

From: Zetas <zetas_at_gshellz.org>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 09:47:17 -0400 (EDT)
Hi everyone,

So as i said before, im trying to allow a large user base redundant access to
their home directories. As it stands right now, i only have one control user
that i clogin to on the client machines to make changes to the share, this is a
completely manual process. Is this the best way to do it? Should i make each
user login to a separate share just for them (i.e. something that automatically
happens when they login)? Or should i just create a corresponding user account
in coda for each real user? Can coda integrate with our existing LDAP
infrastructure?

Right now i just have one user, the default user created during vice-setup, and
while im trying to copy existing user data to the share the permissions are
getting all messed up, i have to go back manually and change the permissions for
each home directory so the user can eventually access it. This makes me think im
going about it wrong. Also changing permissions on large sets of data at once
(mode or user.group) takes quite a while, much longer then it would normally, im
not sure if thats because my local cache is large (500MB) or what.

I feel like i should be able to find this information on my own, i know coda has
some kind of ACL setup, but i have not been able to find any reliable, fairly
new guides for it or how to create and manage users. I also need to make it so
the coda share is not readable by anonymous.. but thats less critical right now.

Thanks for all your help,
David