Coda File System

Re: New work on Coda for Summer 2011

From: <u-codalist-s7mc_at_aetey.se>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 13:03:10 +0200
Hi Georg,

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 11:35:03AM +0200, Georg Drees wrote:
> >    7) Anything that might make this more useful to you that is not mentioned
> > here?
>
> I would see this as a nice opportunity to give things like Dapty (a
> Linux software
> environment distributed via Coda; www.aetey.se) a (virtual) kick start
> on non-Linux
> operating systems.
> Sorta like a modern QEMU-Puppy :-)

Thanks for the suggestion about Dapty. It would indeed be nice - this
would leave the appliance extremely small (both as the download size
and with the disk footprint hardly exceeding the user-chosen cache size)
but yet offer a fully featured up-to-date Linux envionment, which would
work fine even in installations with constrained cache size.

The only controversial issue is that Dapty is a proprietary product.

We the people behind Dapty have strong OSS roots ourselves, appreciating
the freedom of software. Unfortunately we have not figured out a working
model for opening Dapty technology (which would be great for the public).

Dapty could be made public but somebody has to pay both for the
development effort spent for the creation of Dapty and for its further
development and maintenance. Given a reasonable offer of money such
a change in Dapty from a proprietary to a free project might be possible.

Until then such an appliance may entitle to access to Dapty for free
but it is not the same kind of freedom as many Linux users expect. It
may be though the kind of freedom which Windows users are used to :)

Regards,
Rune