Coda File System

Coda native client on Windows?

From: <u-codalist-tccc_at_aetey.se>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 15:38:27 +0000
Hello,

http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/windowsnt.html states that the client
implementation relies on
"agreement between OSR (Open Systems Resources, Inc) and CMU in which
OSR will provide a Coda specific version of their FSDK (File Systems
Development Kit for Windows NT family of operating systems)".

As far as I can see looking at AFS development, they did not face
a need for a similar agreement for their native client. I guess
Microsoft's driver development kit is good enough.

Wouldn't it make it possible to port Coda to Windows 7, without the
dependency on the OCR FSDK (which apparently does not provide enough
functionality - which prevented the port of the current code)?

Wonder how large effort would be necessary to make the Coda
client independent of Cygwin as well (like the AFS 1.7.x client is?)

Note that while we have solutions for accessing Coda from Windows
(an extra [virtual] machine with Linux and samba) they are
neither trivial to setup nor convenient to use.

Coda was first with a native Windows client but now we are
dropping behind.

I would appreciate if somebody with both Coda and Windows development
experiences scheds some light on possible obstacles for going the AFS way.

Cheers,
Rune