Coda File System

Re: strange missing ..

From: <u-codalist-9wcu_at_aetey.se>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 09:05:24 +0000
Hello Greg,

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 07:28:33PM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
> From pkgsrc.  I have about 1G of files in my coda homedir; 848
> directories and 4631 files.  du -s reports 1113464 blocks (1K); tar cf -
> . reports 1087.7 MB, and my venus cachesize is 2000000. codacon reports
> no fetches when reading it all, so I should not be having cache
> evictions.  On one machine, I use bup to back them up, using bup pretty

> Then, I started getting complaints about not being able to open "..".
>
> I found that I had some directories that had about 53 files in them,
> basically all 10 KB.  Sure enough, "ls -af" would show "..", but "ls -l"
> would print instead a "..: not found" line.
>
> I am able to 'cfs purge' the directory, and then things are ok.  But, I
> find that multiple directories of the form
>
>   FOO/BAR/2008 (through 2012)
>
> all get their .. entries (should be the same directory) in this bad
> state at once.

I would become suspicious concerning the kernel part of Coda as ".." is
subject to lot of special handling there. I did not test NetBSD for
several months so can not contribute with the actual experience.

Another guess is about the client RVM being quite large.
This may trigger subtle bugs if some pointers are being limited
in range (truncated?) or otherwise if something collides with
RVM in the address space - which always is an issue when you
mmap at a fixed address as RVM needs.

Otherwise, I am using Coda client side backups too, which exercises
the cache quite heavily. It seems to work reliably (on Linux, with
1.2GB cache size which is the installer default).

Regards,
Rune